Sunday 26 May 2013

Hunger by Michael Grant


Hi everyone!

So I was really happy yesterday as I had just finished reading the next in the series after GONE,  which is HUNGER!
I was really busy during the last week and I had got this out from the library, I hadn't read it yet and it was about to expire so I decided to bite the bullet and make some free time for myself to read this! At first I found it really hard to get into, which was probably down to the fact that I could only find time to read it in little chunks before I had to go off and do something else but, oh well!

So this book is based in the FAYZ, which if you have read GONE you will know stands for the Fallout Alley Youth Zone. Food is fast running out and everyone is starving, anyway, I wont be able to describe it very well so here is the blurb!:

It's been three months since everyone under the age of fifteen became trapped in the bubble known as the FAYZ.

Three months since all the adults disappeared. GONE.

Food ran out weeks ago. Everyone is starving, but no one wants to figure out a solution. And each day, more and more kids are evolving, developing supernatural abilities that set them apart from the kids without powers. Tension rises and chaos is descending upon the town. It's the normal kids against the mutants. Each kid is out for himself, and even the good ones turn murderous.

But a larger problem looms. The Darkness, a sinister creature that has lived buried deep in the hills, begins calling to some of the teens in the FAYZ. Calling to them, guiding them, manipulating them.

The Darkness has awakened. And it is hungry.

Anyway, so my review, (yeah, I'm going to rate it now, it's my new thing....) here goes:

Appearance 8/10
Yeah, it's okay, not very exciting, although I loved the orange page appearance? If you've seen or read the book you'll know what I mean!

Blurb 9/10
I know, it is quite a high rating, and it doesn't give you a lot of info, but it covers the basics, which is what a good blurb should do. Plus this is a very complicated story line, so it's always gonna be hard to cover everything!

Chapter Hooks 7/10
Yeah, okay, okay! I know it's kinda harsh, but it's just my opinion, at the start it was very hard to get into because of  all the info he needed to tell us, so it was.... is it fair to say a tad boring at the start? But it got much better and by the end I loved it and it was really gripping! 

Overall Value for Money 9/10
So, there has been a lot of arguing over this book, some are saying it was better than Gone, some are saying it was really bad, my personal opinion is that at the start it was quite hard to get into but by the end, easily better than Gone. It is a really good book, and for the price of £7.99, not bad, Eh? 
Anyway, I'll  let you make your own mind up on this one, but I would say read Gone first, before this one, so you know whats going on!

33/40! A great book on the whole, please read this!

Keep Reading
BookWorm xx

PS. I was thinking of the next review? Maybe the book Itch by Simon Mayo? I had the pleasure of meeting him at last years Edinburgh Book Festival! Really loved it, although he had a slight cold so wasn't on top form, also got a signed copy of his book which was great!

Anyway let me know in the comments below! Do you want me to review any books? Love hearing from you! Bye!  








No comments:

Post a Comment